ADVOCACY + OUTREACH
Director: ANN M. ROGERS
1) Web Things:
The A+O group is responsible for building and maintaining our website, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Facebook, which we use to:
- Host content! We want folks across GA to be able to access videos of lectures we host and interviews we publish.
- Promote our in-person events! Scoot to EVENTS.
- Show pix from past events! Check out GALLERY.
- Recruit volunteers! See a subcommittee you're interested in? Shoot us a note in CONTACT.
- Foster community! Have a cool article on a female architect or an effective business practice? Post on our Facebook page!
3) Equity Extend Happy Hour Series:
The A+O group organizes this casual monthly event. We invite an interesting someone from the A/E/C community to join a small group at a restaurant / bar, and ask them to talk at us for ~15 minutes about how they got to their current position, what their plans for the future are, what wisdom they have to impart, what their favorite color is, etcetera. Then we hang out, network, and ask for any clarifications!
4) Other events, various and sundry:
A+O is also involved in setting up a number of other lectures and events throughout the year, in tandem with the other subcommittees (Research and Professional Development). We'll be at school career fairs, the AIA October Open House, and more.
HB41, Amendment to the GA Practice Act UPDATE: Your support worked!
Great news! Due to your letters, signatures, and overall outpouring of support, HB 41 has successfully been signed into law!
SCAD may now proceed with a pilot program for accelerated licensure, allowing the best and brightest architecture students to pursue education, professional experience, and ARE exams at once.
This is right in line with EQiA's mission to support professional advancement of women, who typically face a longer time frame for achieving licensure than their male counterparts. NCARB projects the accelerated path to licensure program to shorten the average window to 7-9 years, from 13.